Wednesday, December 28, 2011

@Critical Jazz Artist of The Year 2011 Jo-Yu Chen



Having reviewed more than a dozen piano trios with perhaps 3 serving as memorable, Jo-Yu Chen stands out as my artist of the year for being the epitome of the creative artist. Chen's own compositions are written with no pre-conceived subject matter and drawing upon a myriad of influences including her love for and initial training as a classical pianist, Chen is a rising star in a genre desperately in need of a musical jump start.
Chen was kind enough to field a few questions for us.

BB: Two release for 2011 and with Incomplete Soul edging out Obsession by the thickness of piano wire, I asked Chen to discuss the release and inspiration tied into the project. Chen's classical background and influences are also on display in her response for a delightful insight into this amazing talent. Little wonder this Taiwanese artist also happens to be a Steinway artist. 

"I am very much classically trained. i went to Julliard initially to study classical music when i moved to NYC. somehow after years, i accidentally fell in love with Keith Jarrett's album . i think i was blown away by his baroque-ish contrapuntal intro on "all the things you are". but i didn't start this jazz adventure until i went to new school in 2007 spring.(2 years of study).

I think incomplete soul did reflect my classical background. I love contrapuntal lines. and I am very obsessed with romantic period (bitter/sweet with dark beauty kind of concept). I love concise song form with beautiful melodic lines (you probably can sense that from most of my composition). so i guess my influence from classical music composers are Bach, Brahms, Schumann, and Scriabin, etc. as for jazz influences, i love Monk, Keith, Brad, Jason Moran, Mingus, Kevin hays, Sam Yahel my teacher, my band mates, ..etc they all inspire me here and there."

BB: Bringing her unique artistic gift if not approach to jazz, I was especially curious as a younger artist if she had her own "five year plan" of where she thought she may be career wise.

"When i was younger, i usually got very excited to plan for the future, as you can see, I didn't start seriously about jazz until 2007. and by 2011 i have two albums released by Sony. I've been pushing really hard without any rest and breathe. so somehow i felt it's time to slow down a bit and actually embrace a bit of what i have, subdue a bit, re-focus, find the center of my life, and i am hoping to create more music and definitely more of my own compositions in the future."

BB:  Jazz sales stink. What is the problem?

Jazz sales stink everywhere in the world. I hope I don't offense anyone, but sometimes I think musicians might be trying too hard to impress hard-core musicians/listeners and forgot how to connect with audiences. sometimes i feel, simplicity with taste is way harder than complexity. To me, less is definitely more in term of aesthetics.

BB: Last disc you purchased?

last disc? i just got a bunch lately since i was away from tour. i got Rio by Keith, Live at bird land (Lee Konitz, Brad, Charlie Haden, Paul motian), Paul Motian trio 2000+Two live ath the vanguard volume 3. Paul Motian, i have a room above her. Amy Winehouse ...etc.

A very special thanks to Jo-Yu Chen and Happy New Year!
My reviews of both releases are contained in the links below:



Go to http://www.joyuchen.com/ - A clip from Incomplete Soul.